Samsung turns to its own cloud to free itself from Amazon
Samsung has decided to create its own cloud to free itself from Amazon Web Services. A strategy that would allow him to make significant savings and be able to ensure the security of his cloud …
The Cloud has become essential for Samsung , since its smartphones, IoT devices and other products exploit this technology. However, at present, the Samsung cloud is 60% based on Amazon Web Services : the world leader in the public cloud market. The remaining 40% depend on other diverse suppliers.
Now, however, Samsung plans to conduct several tests to establish and manage its own cloud infrastructure across several of its departments. The objective is to reduce its dependence on AWS, and ultimately to emancipate itself completely .
Samsung pays hundreds of millions of dollars a year to AWS
There are several reasons for this choice. First of all: this dependence on AWS has a high cost . According to SamMobile , the Asian firm pays Amazon several hundred million dollars each year to use its Cloud services. In 2019, Samsung Electronics paid $ 483 million to AWS.
In addition, as it grows, and as its number of users increases , Samsung must pay more and more for Cloud Computing solutions. The company could therefore realize significant savings by using its own cloud.
However, it is not only a question of reducing costs. In the eyes of the Korean firm, depending on Amazon also represents a security risk . The giant wants to develop its own cloud to ensure that it is fully secure by it .
For the moment, we do not know how Samsung intends to develop its Cloud. It is likely that the firm turns to Joyent: a Cloud service it bought in 2016 …